Are you shopping for a baby shower or registry? Or are you putting together gift ideas for yourself? When deciding on what to purchase in preparation for a new baby, many try to be more intentional with what they pick out for other moms. Especially if you are experienced and know that, while cutesy items are fun, they don't matter as much at 3 a.m. when we simply need things that make our sleepy lives easier. So what makes a great gift that is helpful and innovative?
Something that may slip under the radar is an item to aid in breastfeeding and pumping goals. Immediately we think of nipple creams, diapers, baby bottles, breast pumps, and their accessories. However, there are a variety of accessories beyond these for breastfeeding and pumping moms. These items can even make transitioning into that chapter of life easier and more enjoyable. Practical, useful, and comfortable options are of high priority.
While a breast pump or coinciding breast pump parts and totes may be a personal selection on the mom's end, you can help with other items to make things flow more seamlessly (pun may have been intended.)These items compiled below are great ideas to help with everything from supporting a healthy milk supply to utilizing hands-free pumping techniques.
According to the International Breastfeeding Center, it is quite possible that certain herbal remedies can help increase milk supply and the flow of milk to baby. Almost every culture has some sort of herb, plant, or natural source potion to increase milk supply.
While there is not a baseline or enough research to say exactly, we know that many of these ingredients aid in nutrition statuses, which may also indirectly aid in lactation abilities and health!
- Supports many of the main nutrition needs for lactation including iron, magnesium, and Vitamin D.
- Traditional galactagogues like moringa, ashwagandha and fennel may help promote milk ejection, increase mammary tissue and stimulate prolactin release.
- Certain herbs may also aid in reducing inflammation, which can also be helpful in healthy breast tissue and the body's overall response during lactation and postpartum recovery.
- Be sure to compare active ingredients. All drugs, including those herbal and natural, can have both positive and negative effects, so it's best to compare with current status, doctor and care provider guidance as needed, and reach out to an IBCLC if concerned about milk supply.
Reusable Milk Bags
Reduce waste and store milk effectively! All pumping moms need breast milk storage bags, and will go through several throughout their pumping experience. Like many other pump accessories, eco-friendly is the way to go. Every package comes with 3 of these reusable bags.
- Convenient, easy-to-clean silicone design and
- Dishwasher safe, which is great for disinfecting
- Ability to stand in the refrigerator for compact storage or preference
- Steady to pour
- Seals easily
- Visible measuring for breastmilk amounts
- Compact: fitting well in a breast milk cooler or breast pump bag
Hands-Free Pumping Bra
Any mom planning to pump will be thrilled to have the option to go hands-free. This hands-free pumping bra is adjustable within each size and easily holds the breast shields in place. This bra was also designed to be lightweight, smooth, and nonrestrictive. Use those free hands during pumping sessions to massage the breasts while pumping, to eat a snack, continue working, or even relax with a book.
- Smooth fabric
- Great option for moms on the go, working and multitasking moms
- Slits for attaching flanges
- It does not compress areas around the breast, essential for proper milk flow.
- Accommodates pumping with any size flange, including those with the manual breast pump
Reusable Nursing Pads
Another must-have that is eco-friendly and crucial for comfort throughout the day is a collection of reusable nursing pads. Nursing pads keep the mother's skin dry through leaks and post-feeding/breast pumping sessions to maximize comfort and minimize the risk of irritation or infection- not to mention milk leaking onto clothes! Each package comes with 14, which is about a week's worth if changing two times a day. Launder and start again!
- water-proof backing
- washable and easy to clean
- breathable, organic cotton
- cone-shape center design for comfortable nipple contouring
- Discreetly slips in between the breast and nursing bra
- 14 pads per package
These are the perfect items when selecting a thoughtful and intentional item to support a mom and her little one in her breastfeeding and pumping journey- we love to support self-care and accessibility to resources! Make sure to ask for sizes and preferences where applicable.
If you are purchasing for yourself, be sure to utilize our Insurance Lookup Tool. As with many pumping accessories and replacement parts, such as flanges and membranes, you may be able to find insurance coverage or reimbursement opportunities with each of these items.